Several users have reported that games or apps they try to install get stuck at 90% or 100%. This problem occurs specifically with the Xbox application on the Windows operating system.
We investigated the issue and discovered that it can be caused by the following factors:
- Window updates pending – If you have any pending updates on your operating system, the Xbox app components will fail to properly connect to download servers, causing the issue. If this scenario applies, installing the pending updates may resolve the issue for you.
- Windows Store cache corrupted – The cache corresponds to the temporary data stored in the applications. There are times when this data gets corrupted (usually after being accumulated for a long time), causing the ongoing issues. To completely fix the problem, performing a cache reset should do the trick for you.
- Xbox app installation issue – The same issue has been reported by other affected users as being related to an issue affecting temporary files in the Xbox app or file integrity issues. You can fix the problem with a simple repair if the problem is a temporary file. The only way to fix a file integrity issue is to reset the Xbox app.
- Xbox app inconsistency – You can work around a situation where the issue is caused by a corrupted Xbox app by downloading the game from the Microsoft Store instead.
Now that we know the potential causes, let’s take a look at effective troubleshooting steps to fix the errors.
Install pending Windows updates
As we just saw, pending updates can prevent the Xbox app from connecting to download servers, resulting in 90% download hangs. The fix, in this case, is quite simple, as all you have to do is install all the updates one by one.
Here is what you need to do:
- Hurry windows key + R together on your keyboard to open a To run dialog box.
- Type ‘ms settings: windows update‘ in the text field of the dialog box and press Walk in. This will launch the Update page in Windows Settings.
- In the Windows Update screen, go to the right menu and click on Check for updates.
- If the scan identifies pending updates, install them one at a time.
- Once done, check if you can download the game you were trying earlier.
Reset Windows Store Cache
You may not be able to download the game due to corrupt cached data in the Windows Store app. If this scenario applies, try resetting the cache files using the Run dialog box.
Follow these steps to reset Windows Store cache:
- Hurry the Windows + R-keys simultaneously on your keyboard to open aTo run dialog box.
- In the text field of the dialog, type ‘ wsreset.exe‘ and press CTRL + Gap + Walk in to effectively reset the Windows Store cache.
- After completing the wsreset procedure, try downloading the game again and see if it works now.
Reset Windows Update Components
You may also not be able to install the application and may experience the same problem if Windows Update components on your computer are corrupted. The solution is simple to this problem; all you have to do is reset the components to get them working again.
- Type ordered in the search bar and click on Execute as administrator to launch the command prompt with administrative rights.
- Now type the below mentioned commands and press Walk in after each to run them.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
- Once done, run the following commands one by one:
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- Finally, restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved.
Repair or reset the Xbox app
The problem can also be caused by an inconsistency in the Xbox app files. Windows users who can’t install games have reported that they were able to fix the problem by repairing or resetting the Xbox app through Windows Settings, so we recommend giving it a try.
Here is what you need to do:
- Hurry windows key + I to open Windows Settings.
- Select apps from the list of available options.
- Then select Apps and Featuresin the left panel and locate your Xbox app in the right part of the window.
- Once you find it, click on the three dots next to it and select Advanced options.
- In the next window, scroll down to Reset Tabthen click on the repair button.
- You can now restart your PC and check if the issue has been resolved.
- If the problem with the Xbox app persists, repeat all the steps above, but instead of clicking the repair buttonclick on Reset .
Download the game via Microsoft Store
If you are unable to download the game through the Xbox app using any of the above methods, you can try another platform to download the required game. If you want to continue, we suggest downloading your game from the Microsoft Store library instead of the Xbox app.
It’s not exactly a troubleshooting method, but hopefully it helps you ignore the error code.
Here is what you need to do:
- Open Microsoft Store.
- Then click on the Library icon from the lower left corner of the screen.
- In the Library menu, find the game that cannot be installed from the Xbox app.
- Once located, click on theInstall buttonassociated with.
- Wait for the game to download. If you manage to install it through Microsoft Store, that means the problem is in the Xbox app.
Clean installation or repair installation
In case none of the above methods worked for you and the Xbox app still won’t download the game, it implies that the issue cannot be fixed using the conventional methods.
you can always clean install in this case. However, a fresh install will erase all your stored data, installed apps, and saved items. It is also a long process, but you are quite likely to solve the problem in this approach.
If you are looking for an easier and faster solution, go for repair facility (on-site repair).